Thursday, November 21, 2013

He was listening

Have you ever asked for something in passing, even half-joking, or maybe just not expecting to get it, only to be surprised when it is given to you later? God does that for me.

Sometimes, in the midst of something else I will make a comment about what I wish I could have or do. Because it is almost always something little I never really think much of it. At least, not until that moment when, down the road a bit, the thing that I wanted is dropped into my lap and the moment I mentioned it pops into my mind. Not just a reminder that He loves me, but a reminder that He is LISTENING to me... all the time.

I've quickly come to learn that just because He is listening, it doesn't mean He will give me what I want at the moment I ask. In fact, over and over God has shown me that if I am willing to wait for things, He will give them to me in ways that I have never imagined.

 This week I saw New York. I rode the subway. I visited Times Square. I ate a gyro from a sidewalk vendor. I ran in Central Park. I stayed at a very nice hotel. I made strangers smile. I did amazing things for which I was totally thankful. But that "I was listening" moment came again while I was there.

 Eight weeks ago I was feeling weak in so many areas of my life. I wrote a very unfiltered and honest blog post called "Tired" . In the post, one of the things that I said I wanted was a bubble bath. A small comfort on a day that I was feeling my lowest, and not something that is possible in our current home.

At my hotel in New York I slipped into the tub and took a deep breath and said, "Thank you, Lord." and while I didn't hear a thing, I felt the words... "See? I was listening." I knew immediately what He was referring to and tears overflowed in an instant, tears of thanks...

Eight weeks ago I was struggling through a mess of things and while He knew that all of this was going to happen, He also knew that I had to struggle through it if I was going to come out stronger on the other side. His "I was listening" wasn't just about the bath. He heard it all. He knew and understood and loved me in the midst of my tiredness, and rejoiced that I was struggling instead of giving in.

He just wanted to make sure that I knew that.

Yes, God is doing some big, huge, amazing things... but the ways that He most reminds me that He cares about me and what I'm thinking and what I'm feeling and what I need and what I want... is when He does something little... and every so often, He does that something little in a big way.


But God did listen! He paid attention to my prayer. 
Psalm 66:19

For they cried to the God in the battle, and He was entreated of them; because they put their trust in Him. 1 Chronicles 5:20

Before they call I will answer;
    while they are still speaking I will hear.
Isaiah 65:24 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment