Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Love is the opposite

Humans are naturally selfish.
Our innate selfishness makes
showing our jealousy and pride,
our impatience and arrogance,
as easy as breathing most days.
We long to keep track of every way
we have been hurt in the past
and sometimes even cheer
when "karma" gets someone back.
As humans we weigh out every decision,
asking ourselves, what's in it for me?
When things don't work out
the way we think they should
we get demanding, angry, irritated,
then we give up, walk away, and lose hope.
Humans are naturally selfish.

But love is the opposite of self.

When we say I love you
and really mean what we say
we say 'I will put you ahead of me.
I will think about things from
your point of view before I act.
My wants, needs, and feelings are important,
but not more important than yours.
I'm not giving up on you. So,
if you disappoint me based on
my high expectations or your humanity,
I'm going to do my best to understand,
because, when I say I love you and mean it
I'm not asking for anything in return."
 
Love isn't easy.
Love is a choice.
Love is the opposite of self.

 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. 
1 Corinthians 13:4-7




Thanks to Rising Above The Darkness for "Love is the opposite of self."

No comments:

Post a Comment