Monday, January 19, 2015

Be still

Well, maybe God knows me better than I know myself after all...

Yesterday, as I finished up my blog post, I decided to go for the walk I felt God telling me to take. I was only planning on a mile, I haven't run in forever and there is ice in some places still. Once I got out there though, I couldn't help myself. I ended up going over 2 miles... and I even ran some of it. It felt good. I needed that. Go figure. He probably already knew that.

As I've spent more and more time in the word lately, I've begun to see my recent battles for what they actually are, spiritual warfare. The enemy does not want me to fulfill my purpose in Christ, so he does what he can to steer me in other directions. Writing a note to a friend about this yesterday, God took it a step further in my mind and I was totally blown away.

If two sides are in a battle and one refuses to fight, the one that continues to fight will overtake the one who doesn't. Yet, in recent months, while these battles were raging all around me, I have not been fighting... not even a little bit. So, why didn't the enemy overtake me? Why was I not crushed?

The answer came to mind so quickly that it startled me.

Exodus 14:14

God has been fighting for me all along. Even when I was too weak to fight, even when I just refused. He was there. I didn't have to do anything...


I'm not saying we never have to fight our battles. We will have to fight them with His help.

God tells us that our battles are not against flesh and blood... but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12) 

But this time, He knew I wouldn't or couldn't do it, and stepped in for me. Every move I made on my own, was closer to the enemy's camp. God protected me again and again, even though at one point I was willing myself to fail.

The truth is, I didn't have to be still for Him to fight for me... I had to be still to see it.

These verses touched me tonight as I was writing this...
“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift each of you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen your brothers.” ~Luke 22:31-32

Jesus fought for Simon-Peter too... because He knew that when Peter came back to Him, he would be able to change some worlds... 

No comments:

Post a Comment