Monday, April 4, 2016

Random Chance


Last week I clicked a random notification
     to play a random live video
and saw a random comment
     completely by chance.

I've been a Christian since I was young,
     Karen* said. But I can't seem to believe
that He wants me ... please pray for me.

Oh, that's why I'm here.
     to tell a stranger You love her.
Maybe seeing her comment
     wasn't so random after all.

I sent her a message with the photo below.
     Here are some verses to tell you 
what God thinks when He sees you. 
     I spent years believing He would 
let me into Heaven because He had to
     not because he really wanted me, I said. 
When I came to understand grace 
     and what it really meant and how much 
He really cares about me... it changed my life.

Thank you so much, she said, 
     and accepted my friend request.

Back on the original comment,
     fifteen others left encouraging replies.
sixty-five "liked" the comment.
     Some may have been an agreement to pray,
others just votes of solidarity, letting
     her know, others feel the same.
I was blessed by the number who reached out.

Thankful for the opportunity to encourage,
     I smiled. God is fighting for her today!
I hope she sees that. I hope she understands
     how much He really does want her!
   
Then yesterday, quickly scrolling,
     I saw her face in my news feed.
I wonder how she is doing today,
     I said, scrolling back up.

It wasn't from her, it was her niece:
     I am very sorry you all are suffering from her loss. 
I will do my best to keep everyone posted. 
     Please contact me at ...

From other posts on the page,
     and a text to her niece,
I found out that Karen had lost the battle
     with the darkness that was trying to consume her.

I couldn't stop the tears,
     but I also couldn't adequately explain
to those around me why I was
     crying at church for someone I don't know.

I replied to her niece,
     I'm confident she knows 
just how much God loves her now,
     I only wish she had understood it
while she was still on this earth.

If only she had known.

If you are feeling hopeless, believe that He has hope for you. Know that He wants so much more for you than where you are right now.

You are precious to Him and He wants you... not because He wants everyone, but because He is knows and loves you, individually.

While it is almost impossible to be cognizant of every person we come into contact with each day, choosing to walk in the Spirit gives us the opportunity to stay connected to One Who does know.... 

"Hold that door." 
"Hug her."
"Ask him how he is really doing."
"Pay for that stranger's cup of coffee."
"Tell that person who does all they can to irritate you, how much you love them."
"Be compassionate, you don't know what they are going through."
"Say, 'How can I pray for you today?'"

Don't believe in random chance. 
    Don't ignore the thump in your chest,
the tug on your heart, the inability to concentrate 
     on anything except what you know 
you are supposed to be doing or saying.

God is fighting for them, as hard as He fights for you.

I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.
~Ephesians 1:18

Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 
Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.
~John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment